Friday 25 February 2011

Solar Full Disk 21st Feb Baader K-Line Filter

My friend in the USA, Earl Foster, was kind enough to send me the raw data for an image of the sun he took using an Meade 80mm APO refractor, Baader K-Line Filter and DMK41 camera. I am particulary interested in this filter which images with a 8nm passband in the near ultra violet. It is a cheaper alternative to the Lunt range of CaK filters, however has a much wider bandpass and hence less contrast in the image. The raw image was post processed for wavelets in Registax 5 and then final processing done in Photoshop CS4. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, especially as the sky conditions were rather hazy when this image was taken. I hope when Earl gets some better sky conditions he will forward me somemore data for me to play around with. Thanks Earl!