If you are interested in me attending your event please use the contact box on the website with the details, and, if possible i'll come along! I am happy to talk about a range of topics around the sun; solar features, imaging and processing, building solar telescopes, spaceweather etc. Always happy to tailor a talk to the needs of the group.
I am a regular contributing author to the BBC Sky at Night Magazine here in the UK with a
number of published articles on the sun. I was proud to take the cover story in the August 2016 issue on imaging the sun in Hydrogen Alpha, White light and CaK wavelengths using a range of equipment readily available to the amateur, and also details on image processing techniques and software. In the July 2016 issue I did the first written review of the excellent 5 star Daystar Calcium Quark to appear in any magazine internationally. In addition I have also written on observing the March 2015 eclipse using a range of techniques for safe solar viewing. I have also done book reviews for the magazine.
Events in 2018
- Liverpool Astronmical Society - Friday 19th January https://liverpoolas.org/
Events in 2017
The talk programme for 2017 is already starting to fill. I'm hoping for a busier year than 2016!
- Rosliston Astronomy Group - Friday 29th April http://roslistonastronomy.uk/
- Kinver Air Cadets - Thursday 11th May
- Cotswold Astronomical Society - Saturday 10th June http://cotswoldas.org.uk/cas/
- In it's third year now Solarsphere promises to be bigger and better than ever before! I can really recommend this to anyone with an interest in music, astronomy or both! A great family festival suitable for all ages! 11th - 14th August 2017. http://solarsphere.events/index.html
- The Great American Eclipse - 21st August 2017. I'm not sure exactly where I will be in Oregon, maybe somewhere around Salem or Silverton, but will be out there sharing the eclipse with whoever else is in Oregon for this spectacle of nature! http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/eclipse-2017/
August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse as seen from the Moon from Michael Zeiler on Vimeo.
- Kidderminster Astronomical Society - 13th September 2017 http://carolianastro.co.uk/wpastro/
- Wolverhampton Astronomical Society http://www.wolvas.org.uk/ - 11th September 2017
Events in 2016
2016 promises to be a bumper year for solar astronomy outreach; with some unique solar telescopes on display including a triple stacked full disk Hydrogen alpha scope, providing ultra high contrast views of the upper chromosphere making it easy even for complete beginners to solar astronomy to see features on our star. Large aperture white light views of sunspots will be possible using a Celestron C8, and a soon to be announced 'new' solar scope not currently used in outreach anywhere worldwide.
- 9th May - Transit of Mercury - Holly Hall Academy
- 10th June - Solarfest, Dunboyne Observatory, Dublin. A great weekend of astronomy and solar fun for all the family!
- 18/19th June - International Sun Day weekend - venue to be confirmed
- 12th-15th August - Solarsphere astronomy and music festival, now in it's second year will be an absolute highlight for people with a top class line up of speakers, music, food and real ale. Well worth checking out!
- Wallsall Astronomical Society - thursday 3rd November 8.00pm http://walsallastro.co.uk/
Events In 2015
- 20/21st June - 'International Sun Day' - annual outreach event celebrating our Sun - venue to be confirmed.
- 14/15/16th August - 'Solarsphere' - festival of astronomy and music in Builth Wells, Wales.
- 4/5/6th September - 'Hertsmonceaux Astronomy Festival' - Annual fund raiser for the science centre.
- 19th November - 'Manchester Astronomical Society' - Fun In The Sun and Solar Outreach