Sunday 24 July 2011

Ha Full Disk - 24th July: Update on Flats...

full disk f26 lrg by Mark Townley
full disk f26 lrg, a photo by Mark Townley on Flickr.

After weeks of poor weather here in the West Midlands this sunday was a day with gloriously clear skies, deep blue, and in the morning with good seeing conditions too.

I decided to try out my new 2.5x Televue Powermate; this is an excellent piece of glass as I expected and shows lots of promise. The image here is a 12 pane mosaic constructed in IMerge. I used both a flat and dark frame for this, and it is clear that using these is solar imaging is a positive way forward. The image is very even in terms of illumination, and displays much finer detail than with not using the flats and darks. These will be a standard part of my solar imaging process now.

This was taken with the DS40 @ f26, DMK31 camera.