Sunday 1 July 2012

AR11513 & AR11516 1st July

ar11513 ar11516 by Mark Townley
ar11513 ar11516, a photo by Mark Townley on Flickr.

I didn't think I would get to image today, grey skies and my thermometer was reading 12c at 11.00am (yes it is July!), however by late afternoon the skies were breaking and despite the 'haze' of the next batch of weather encroaching I managed to get this one frame of active regions AR11513 & AR11516, despite NASAs verdict that these are decaying they have been crackling with C class flares throughout the day.

This is second light with the 127mm PST mod - i thought I was wasting my time with imaging today, the seeing in the cloud gaps really wasn't very good, however i'm really quite pleased as to what Avistack has recovered from the raw data. It really does hold promise for if we actually get any decent sunny weather anytime soon here in the UK.

I'm also looking to modify the etalon holding cell from the PST - there is some lateral 'slack' in it, that causes the image to grade from being on band to slightly off band across the frame. It is possible to tweak this to an 'ideal', but is fiddly. More cloud and rain is forecast in the coming week so this will be my project!