Friday 2 August 2013

ar11809 Closeup 1st August

ar11809 ha f32 by Mark Townley
ar11809 ha f32, a photo by Mark Townley on Flickr.

August started with a 'heat-blip' here in the UK, with the hottest temperatures for several years being recorded. I thought this might have an adverse effect on the seeing conditions but I could not be more wrong. Seeing was very very good and I quickly upped the focal length from 2000mm to 3200mm on the 100mm PST mod, even at this focal length results were very good, and the picture above shows the fiery nature of our star. It should be cloudy for months now, as I finally have all the components I need to do a double stack PST mod. Early attempts were thwarted by reflections from between the 2 etalons, but now I think I (hopefully!) have a solution to this. As soon as the sun returns from behind the clouds I will do a fest light test - fingers crossed!