Sunday 12 January 2014

Saturdays Whitelight Full Disk 11th January

wl full disk colour by Mark Townley
wl full disk colour, a photo by Mark Townley on Flickr.

A nice range of sunspots was visible on the our star on saturday as can be seen in this full disk image. This was taken with the 70mm frac at f6 with the beloptik tri-band filter. I also used a baader continuum filter in conjunction with this: I never thought I would say this but there was too much light(!), and even with the exposure at 1/10000th second on the DMK31 camera I still needed to use additional ND filtration. I used the Lunt solar wedge with a UV/IR cut without it's ND filter, so in future will try with the ND3 filter, not sure what exposure time this will give me, so may have to get a 'family' of Baader ND filters to get the exposures short, but within the range of the camera.