Friday 4 March 2022

CaK Single Stack Double Stack Comparison 26th February

CaK-SS-DS-Comparison-BW Hazy skies for much of the day thinned somewhat in the afternoon on Saturday so I decided to go out in the warming spring sunshine and see what I could see on the sun. Using the 100/800 scope stopped to 50mm to give f16 for the full disks and the difference between single stack and double stack cak is easy to see. I'm using my regular double stack CaK setup, but last year purchased another CaK PST to harvest the magic filter from it with the idea of triple stacking. There is little returns with TS over DS apart from much reduced exposure times so I will stick to DS. Sooooo, I have a single stack CaK filter module in addition now to compare alongside. I think I can improve the single stack further yet, more blocking will help. We can see that the chromospheric network is brighter. At the same time, this network is a bit more fuzzier since we sample a higher level of the chromosphere (compared to the single stack Ca K). The contrast between the penombra and umbra is also lower, for the same reason.