Sunday 22 April 2012

Ha Full Disk & Prom Lift Off 22nd April

Ha Full Disk by Mark Townley
Ha Full Disk, a photo by Mark Townley on Flickr.

I thought I had got all the imaging in I was going to today, but as I watched the weather satellite image I saw a gap of blue sky between 2 particularly organised and nasty bands of showers, as the first band passed over it whited over the ground with hail, but I could see the clear blue skies following it getting ever closer on the horizon so decided to setup. Despite it still spotting with rain I knew that only had about a 15 minute gap between the next down pour, and so started to setup regardless - one of my neighbours stood in an upstairs window watching me setup in the drizzle and must have thought I was bonkers (but I don't care!) - i'm certainly glad I did, as the view that I saw left me speechless...

I had decided to setup the DS40 in order to capture a full disk, anyway as I looked through the eyepeice to get everything lined up I could see the huge prome that had been around all weekend was in the process of lifting off - i checked GONG just to double check, and lo and behold it was indeed in the process of leaving our star...

I quickly grabbed a full disk mosaic using the DS40, a bit of banding here, but speed was key if I was to make the most of the opportunity both the sun and local weather conditions were presenting me... I think there's probably a bit out of frame looking at Alexandras capture of it, but think this puts it into perspective...