Sunday 6 May 2012

AR1471 & AR1469 Surge Prominence

AR1471 AR1469 Surge Prom by Mark Townley
AR1471 AR1469 Surge Prom, a photo by Mark Townley on Flickr.

I couldn't believe my eyes as I had my first proper view of the sun in almost 3 weeks; I had checked the GONG site only a few minutes before looking through the scope, however in that short space of time, AR1469, as it was right on the departing limb threw off a surge prominence. The whole event only lasted maybe 10 minutes maximum but fortunately was able to get an image. Seeing conditions were awful today, with the spicule ring showing little if any detail. This was taken with the 100mm PST mod @ f10, DMK31 camera - i'm really pleased with this new Ha setup i'm running and look forward to having some proper time to test it out properly.