Sunday 12 April 2020

Cycle 24 Bright Points 12th April

After so much uptick in cycle 25 activity over the past couple of weeks the last thing I expected to see was cycle 24 activity, as indicated by the magnetogram.  Yes, it is very small scale, just a pair of bright points associated with flux regions, but they have hung around for the past 24 hours.  I'm also pleased as I was able to record them with a setup i've put together on it's maiden outing.   I wondered if I rigged together my 100mm f10 Tal refractor with the 2.7x Airylab telecentric designed to work with the f10 HaT, along with the Daystar Quark if the system would jell.  Well it did, and with the 0.7x solar telecompressor gives a very nice f19 which is a perfect match for the pixels of the FLIR GH3 IMX174 camera.  Exposure time was also pleasingly short.  I used a cut out of 1600x1200 pixels in the above image, where there is slight vignetting in the corners, this should flat out along with the slightly uneven illumination of the camera chip.  Conditions were far from ideal when the image was taken, with the sky covered in a very thick haze, given the image I got out have got quite a bit of hope for this setup, it should also be able to be used with my 118mm f10 scope too...  Below are pictures of the new setup.