Friday 25 April 2014

AR12042 CaK Closeup & Ramblings 24th April


There is oodles of detail in the closeup shot of relatively dormant active region 12042 seen in this shot taken with the homebrew CaK filter and the 80mm scope running at 2000mm focal length.  I would love to have perfect seeing and be able to double or even treble the focal length as i'm certain the closer in you look at CaK the more detail that is recorded.  I'm really pleased with the work i've been able to do on my CaK filter over the easter fortnight; after much changing of the order and spacings of the filter elements I now have a setup where the reflection / ghost images are not consequential or significance in the final image.  I have also learned that in it's native state the PST CaK 'magic' filter is actually tuned slightly higher than 393.37nm so that when it is used in an f10 light cone the centre bandpass is blue shifted to exactly CaK (393.37nm) wavelengths.  I knew that in a light cone of  less than f10 that the resultant image was washed out in a way the same as I got when tilting the filter elements to try and throw the reflections, and that by tilting the filter results in a blue shift of the bandpass wavelength.  However I was really surprised when I ran the filter setup in a 50mm f20 native light cone and the resultant image I got was also washed out and lacking in both contrast and detail.  This led me to the conclusion this was a result of the filters bandpass wavelength being red shifted as it was operating in a shallower light cone than it was designed for.  What is for certain is that I will be using the filter setup in a f10 light cone whereever possible as this gives the most contrasty and detailed results by far.  The 80mm running at a native f12.5 before any barlowing is used seems to escape any significant or noticeable red shifting as the closeup images from the past couple of days show.  All my full disks though I will be taken using the 40mm at f10, with 2x barlow, as I have also seen that the 0.5x reducer at the short wavelengths of CaK introduced contrast robbing spherical aberration.  All of the disks I have taken so far have shown to be far better with the 40mm f10 and 2x barlow than the 80mm f12.5 and 0.5x reducer; it would be interesting to see the result of using the 80mm at f12.5 to get a full disk, but this would need the best part of 16 frames, and the chances of the seeing holding out for all of them is probably only something that would happen a couple of times a year.  For every large aperture CaK image like above and those below, there are probably 10 discarded for each good result.  Maybe it is time for a camera with a larger chip?  Hmmmm...