Saturday 12 April 2014

Ha Full Disk 12th April

With all the work i've been doing on my CaK filter lately, I feel i've been neglecting our star in Hydrogen Alpha wavelengths, so today, when a short break in a passing weather front presented itself I decided to try some imaging at the red end of the spectrum at 656nm.  I'm glad I did as there was absolutely loads to see!  There are active regions, filaments, prominences, filaproms and flaring to cover just the brief overview.  It was nice to take a look at the sun through the eyepiece too.  This image is a 6 pane mosaic, taken with the Coronado DS40 at f20 with the DMK31 camera, stacking was done in autostakkert2, with the post processing being done in Adobe Photoshop CS4.  Fingers crossed the next couple of days should bring some much better weather and allow me to image at a range of not only wavelengths but also focal lengths too.